Grantee Database

UNUSUAL SUSPECTS THEATRE CO

Application ID

AE-AIS-20-8357

Application Type

Arts Education – Artists in Schools

Approved Grant Amount

Project Description

The mission of The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company (US) is to mentor, educate, and enrich underserved youth through the creation of collaborative, original theatre. US’s vision is a world where all youth are given the opportunities and support they need to succeed.

US’s overarching purpose is to utilize theatre-arts education to mitigate the underlying family & community risk factors that threaten the healthy development of the 1,600 Los Angelinos we serve each calendar year (93% aged 9-19), including underperforming students, foster youth, struggling parents, English Language Learners, adolescents suffering from PTSD, incarcerated minors, and rival gang members. To reduce barriers to access and maximize impact, US meets underserved youth where they are. Roughly 85% of those we serve live in the marginalized neighborhoods of South L.A. and Pacoima/San Fernando. The remaining 15% live throughout L.A. County and take part in residencies while detained in juvenile detention facilities.

Organization Summary

The mission of The Unusual Suspects Theatre Company (US) is to mentor, educate, and enrich underserved youth through the creation of collaborative, original theatre. US’s vision is a world where all youth are given the opportunities and support they need to succeed.

US’s overarching purpose is to utilize theatre-arts education to mitigate the underlying family & community risk factors that threaten the healthy development of the 1,600 Los Angelinos we serve each calendar year (93% aged 9-19), including underperforming students, foster youth, struggling parents, English Language Learners, adolescents suffering from PTSD, incarcerated minors, and rival gang members. To reduce barriers to access and maximize impact, US meets underserved youth where they are. Roughly 85% of those we serve live in the marginalized neighborhoods of South L.A. and Pacoima/San Fernando. The remaining 15% live throughout L.A. County and take part in residencies while detained in juvenile detention facilities.

Organization

UNUSUAL SUSPECTS THEATRE CO

Address

3719 VERDUGO RD

LOS ANGELES

Phone

Subscribe to the California ArtBeat weekly newsletter

Skip to content