Culture is the strongest signifier of California’s identity. As a state agency, the California Arts Council supports local arts infrastructure and programming statewide through grants, programs, and services.
Strengthening arts, culture, and creative expression as the tools to cultivate a better California for all.
A California where all people flourish with universal access to and participation in the arts.
- Community – Authentic intergenerational and intersectional connections
- Accessibility – Inclusion, simplicity and ease, resulting in equitable participation
- Aesthetics – Recognizing all art forms and artistic traditions that enable full and meaningful creative expression
- Autonomy with Accountability – Empowered, responsible generation and allocation of resources
- Relevance – Broad influence, bold leadership and synergizing collaboration for the present, with a sharp eye toward emerging developments and needs of the future
- Equity – Service according to need to prioritize racial injustice, representation and visibility of all groups
- Sustainability – Wise, impactful and responsive growth
We invest in California community organizations, local units of government, and creative individuals via competitive grant programs that are administered through a multistep public process. In response to COVID-19, the Council has a strong vision for how this year’s grants will bolster recovery to preserve jobs and stabilize arts organizations, with equity at the center.
Through an interagency partnership with CDCR, we fund a growing number of organizations who coordinate arts classes within all adult correctional institutions in the state. We also support the field through numerous initiatives, including Poetry Out Loud, the Poet Laureate program, and the State Cultural Districts program, among others
We administer the state’s largest free web database of arts jobs and artist opportunities. We offer public workshops and training opportunities, produce reports, and provide valuable information services to the public, including a weekly e-newsletter.
How does the California Arts Council support state government & the people of California?
The California Arts Council serves all Californians by administering grants and programs, developing public and private partnerships, and offering technical resources and research to the arts field.
Combined, these services:
- make the economic, educational and civic benefits of the arts available to all communities by broadening public access to the arts and reducing barriers to cultural participation
- support academic and career success by helping schools and communities to tap the arts as a teaching and learning asset and promoting the attainment of state education standards for learning in key subjects
- preserve cultural heritage as a legacy for future generations
- build bridges across cultures, generations and geographies, supporting equity in civic engagement and involving citizens in community and civic life
- hone our state’s competitive edge by fostering a creative work force, reinforcing a creative brand identity, and offering a climate appealing to businesses, investors, residents and travelers
- support small business development by providing catalytic funding and essential skills to creative entrepreneurs
- leverage federal dollars that can be used to address our state’s goals
- foster sound management practices by supporting grantees in adopting rigorous planning, evaluation and financial management systems
- encourage other investments in the arts, catalyzing tax revenues, public and private investment, and entrepreneurial business practices
- demonstrate accountability and good government by adhering to the highest management and accountability standards