VOX Femina Los Angeles, LA’s premier women’s choir, seeks a Music Education Program Manager.
Title: Education Program Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary of Duties: The Education Program Manager (EPM) is responsible for planning, implementing and managing music education programs for VOX Femina Los Angeles (VOX).
Start Date: September 1, 2022
Part Time: (approximately 15 hours per week)
Salary: $25-$35 per hour depending on experience
VOX Femina Los Angeles, LA’s premier women’s choir, seeks an inclusive and inspiring arts educator who is experienced and passionate about working with diverse communities in implementing music education programs. The EPM will be responsible for developing and managing a new program, utilizing the “Justice Choir Songbook” to encourage community singing for social and environmental justice awareness. The EPM will join a dynamic staff of six and will be part of those who are public-facing and who represent the organization.
The EPM will oversee the administration of VOX Femina’s existing music education programs: Choir Mentorship, Choral Scholarship and Concert for Youth. (For descriptions and more information about these programs please visit our website HERE.) VOX is excited to launch two new programs in the Spring of 2023: the first annual Youth Choir Festival, and an in-school program centered around the “Justice Choir Songbook.”
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Oversee the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of VOX’s Music Education programs.
● Strategize, implement, and maintain current program initiatives, ensuring adherence to organizational objectives.
● Collaborate in creating, developing, and implementing a pilot program for the Justice Choir.
● Collaborate in improving upon and fine-tuning curriculum for current programs.
● Develop assessment protocols for program evaluation.
● Serve as the organization’s liaison to community partners for program participation. Recruit potential partners for program participation. Build and maintain relationships with school partners.
● Maintain the organization’s standards of satisfaction, quality, and performance.
● Exemplify and foster VOX’s core values and strongly held commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access. Administrative:
● Collaborate with administrative staff to create required paperwork for implementing VOX’s Music Education programs including Memos of Understanding, study guides, permission documents, media release forms, etc.
● Coordinate with artistic staff to implement the Choir Mentorship programs, arranging scheduling and site visits.
● Collaborate with artistic staff to coordinate Choral Scholar recruitment and participant auditions.
● Collaborate with artistic staff to coordinate the Youth Choral Festival, including communication with schools, transportation, paperwork and volunteers as necessary.
● Attend and assist at all VOX concerts and events, as requested.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND KEY SKILLS:
● Bachelor’s degree in Music, Music Education or in a related field preferred, or equivalent experience in music education or music performance, preferably with an emphasis in vocal/choral music.
● Music teaching experience, especially in a public-school setting, is preferred.
● Demonstrated understanding of arts education curriculum design in support of California VAPA standards preferred.
● Ability to work collaboratively with educators and in school environments.
● Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of school communities and stakeholders.
● Ability to work independently, be motivated to take initiative, anticipate challenges, solve problems, and work within a dynamic team environment.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Excellent planning and organizational skills
● Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred.
This position is approximately 50% remote, with in-person attendance at music education events required.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a compelling cover letter that specifies how your experience relates to the position, current resume, and two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 15, 2022.
Founded in January 1997, VOX Femina Los Angeles gives women voice through the performance of quality choral literature. Diverse in culture, age, race, belief, and sexual identity, we are dedicated to commissioning new works and raising awareness about issues that affect us as a family of women. Through our music, we seek to create a world which affirms the worth and dignity of every person.
Since our debut, VOX has performed a catalog of music exemplifying diverse musical styles and repertoire. In keeping with our mission, VOX has commissioned over 50 new works for women’s voices, and collaborated with over 35 contemporary composers. VOX has performed over 300 community events and collaborated with other arts organizations such as the LA Philharmonic, LA Master Chorale, Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles, Trans Chorus of Los Angeles, and VOX Dance Theatre. In 2016, VOX was named District Nonprofit of the Year by then-State Senator Holly Mitchell; in 2017, VOX participated in the international Golden State Choral Trophy competition, winning the women’s category and the 2nd highest score overall; in 2018, VOX was selected to participate in the Tapestry International Festival in Vancouver, Canada. VOX was awarded the San Francisco Classical Voice Audience Choice Award for the Best Choral Performance of the 2019-2020 season in the LA area. In 2022, VOX was invited to perform as a Featured Ensemble at the ACDA Western Region Conference in Long Beach.
VOX Femina’s Music Education program was a long-hoped-for goal initiated during the 2016-2017 school year to help address the deficit of music education programs in Los Angeles public schools, with the objectives of offering free music programming to under-resourced students; introducing students to the choral art form; and paving the way for the next generation of choral music lovers and singers.
For more information on VOX Femina Los Angeles, please visit our website: www.voxfemina.org
For more information on the Justice Choir Songbook, please visit: https://www.justicechoir.org/ #home