Title: Head Rigger/Certified Rigger
Reports to: Head of Special Projects
Hours per week: 35 – 40 hours (flexible/hourly)
Salary Range: $40-48/hour depending on experience
Effective date: Open until filled
In business since 1928, Atthowe is now a worker-owned company exclusively dedicated to the handling of fine art. We provide temperature and humidity-controlled art storage solutions, air and ground transportation support as well as crating, mounting and installation services. Our company has changed and grown over time, but always with the same focus of providing outstanding, quality service in a friendly and caring environment. We pride ourselves on our decades of outstanding service and our art-loving, hard-working, dedicated team. We cherish our long history, but we also value our forward thinking, innovative practices.
Atthowe Fine Art Services is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, our clients, and our community.
About the position:
Atthowe Fine Art Services is seeking an experienced Fine Art Rigger. The successful candidate must possess an understanding of the fundamentals of lifting and manipulating heavy, complex, and frequently fragile, objects. Equally important is an awareness of how to prevent damage to delicate surfaces during rigging and handling. The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of various material types and the dynamic forces applied by the processes of lifting and moving them. The applicant must be able to direct a crew while maintaining a safe working environment. Safety for the crew and protection of the artwork is the highest priority.
We are looking for an individual who is equally comfortable and professional on a construction site, inside a museum, or inside a private estate. The work environments are varied, and the challenges are specialized and unique. Familiarity with heavy equipment (cranes, reach-lifts, forklifts, gantries, etc.), as well as a working knowledge of rigging signals and terminology is required.
Candidate will be expected to have or acquire and then maintain a Level 2 Intermediate Rigger and Signal Person certification. They must possess a valid CA driver’s license with a clean driving record and be comfortable driving trucks and heavy equipment. They must be able to pass an STA background check. Overnight and away travel is sometimes required.
· Perform hands-on lifting and manipulation of artworks and museum objects as needed for their transportation, installation, display, etc.
· Understand and abide by professional art handling protocols and standards
· Understand and legibly complete paperwork with high attention to detail
· Understand typical parties and agreements involved in the transportation, handling, and installation of artworks and museum objects
· Understand and prioritize the importance of information transfer between company departments, especially in regards to gathering and documenting useful and accurate registration information
· Possess a solid knowledge of how to handle differing objects safely and efficiently
· Understand the materials that make up the objects and how these materials may react with installation or packing materials
· Complete and pass STA (Security Threat Assessment) application and verification
· Complete and maintain safety certificates for: forklift operator, scissor/boom lift operator, fall protection, scaffolding
· Understand and comply with PPE (personal safety equipment) requirements
· Maintain, clean, and safe-guard all tools, equipment, and other company property, both personal and shared
Head Rigger Responsibilities:
· Possess and maintain certificate as Level 2 Intermediate Rigger and Signal Person
· Direct lifting of large objects using various lifting equipment, including gantries and cranes
· Direct crew and maintain safe work environment
· Protect fragile objects and surfaces from rigging damage
· Assure that crew has needed equipment and supplies for job
· Inspect all equipment and remove dangerous or damaged slings, tools, and other equipment
· Lift and carry artwork and museum objects properly, alone and in coordination with co-workers
· Verify and complete paperwork, obtaining required signatures
· Use company paperwork to record materials used and time spent on jobs
· Safely strap and secure loads in trucks and vans
· Uncrate and/or unpack objects using company protocols
· Soft-pack and/or crate-pack objects using company standards
· Calculate load weights and center of gravity
· Identify lift points and rigging configurations
· Perform crane signaling and/or radio directions
· Attach and adjust slings
· Communicate with crane operators, sub-contractors, project managers, and others
· Review and consult pick-plans, drawings, and other documents
· Prep, maintain and inspect rigging supplies for all jobs
Core Accountabilities for all employees:
· Safety of people: Never act in a way that would endanger you, a co-worker, or any other person
· Safety, protection and stewardship of all artwork and objects in our custody
· Communication and cooperation with co-workers, clients, and others in a professional and timely manner
· Knowledge of and adherence to company standards and policies, especially regarding security, safety, discrimination, and sexual harassment
· Protection of all confidential information, including client information, job details, images, and privileged company information
· Regularly required to walk, stand, sit, bend, lift, and use hands
· Regularly be in truck cab for extended periods and must exhibit physical agility to enter and exit trucks and/or trailers
· Exposed to outside weather conditions on a frequent basis
· Must be able to lift 60 pounds unassisted and must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 300lbs with assistance of mechanical equipment
· Regularly stand for long periods of time
· Regularly work in boom-lifts or on ladders for long periods of time
· Work and lift with hands over shoulders for long periods of time
· Minimum 5 years, demonstrated experience as Level 2 Rigger
· Possess a valid California driver’s license and a clean driving record at the time of, and for the duration of employment.
· Able to drive trucks, vans and heavy equipment and forklifts.
· Able to perform physical demands as stated in job description
· Able to work as part of a team and contribute to cooperative problem solving
· Able to follow detailed instructions and strict protocols
· Able to work flexible schedule as needed, including long days and construction hours
· Able to travel overnight and long distance
· Able to pass safety screening of various job-sites, including drug testing
In addition to working with a friendly, art loving team, Atthowe also provides the following benefits:
● 100% coverage of health insurance premiums through Kaiser (includes vision)
● Dental and additional vision coverage through Principal
● 17.5 days of PTO for full time employees (increases with seniority)
● 12 holidays
● 401K with 3% match
● Cell phone reimbursement of $60/month
● Eligibility to become a worker owner after two years of employment
● Employee bonuses
How to Apply:
· Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
· Place the job title of “Head Rigger” in the subject line of your email application.
· Job open until filled, so apply soon!