The Executive Director (ED), working in conjunction with and reporting to the Board of Directors, provides the leadership, vision and overall management of the Arts Council of Kern (ACK) and upholds the organization’s mission. The ED supervises ACK’s running grant programs, State of California and other contracts, exhibits and fundraising events, and membership programs. There is currently one full-time staff member who reports directly to the ED and one marketing contract worker. The position and ACK office are located in downtown Bakersfield, California with a vibrant and growing arts scene.
Our Mission: The Arts Council of Kern provides, supports, and promotes arts access, advocacy, and education for all residents and visitors to Kern County.
Development and Fundraising.
Working with the Board of Directors, the ED develops the annual plan for earned income, fundraising events, foundation grants, and individual and corporate giving. Successful grant writing is an important part of the ED position, working to assist local organizations and individuals fund their arts programming and initiatives. The ED works with staff and the Board to implement ACK’s fundraisers each year, including Stories on the Sidewalk and the Plein Air Painting Festival. The board is open to other community events that make fiscal sense.
Community and Membership Development.
The ED maintains a high profile within the organization and the community by routinely interacting with community leaders, cultural organizations, and foundations to create beneficial partnerships. The position is the liaison to local City and County officials within the boundaries of Kern County and develops and sustains working partnerships. The ED maximizes ACK’s exposure through press, networking, and social media.
Leadership and Board Relations.
The ED leads the organization to develop and implement ACK’s mission and strategic plan, in coordination with the ACK Board of Directors. The ED works with the Board President to facilitate agenda setting, Board member orientation, and proactive communication and record keeping. The ED helps prospect potential new additions to the Board that align with the Arts Council’s work or would be beneficial to the organization.
Management, Operations, and Fiscal Oversight.
The ED is responsible for the day-to-day general and fiscal management of the organization and its operations. Working with ACK staff, the Board Treasurer, and our accounting firm, this work includes developing and managing the annual budget, generating monthly reports, and overseeing all financial operations. Oversight includes maintaining contract compliance, adherence to laws, and internal financial standards and controls.
· Candidates must have management experience, including: financial management, marketing and public relations, event programming, and history managing a team of employees and volunteers.
· Candidates must have a demonstrated track-record in fundraising and program development.
· Candidates must have successful grant writing experience and will be asked to provide a writing sample.
· Candidates should be strong public speakers with a passion for the Arts.
· Education requirements: Graduation from an accredited college or university.
· Current Kern County residence is highly desirable and/or a knowledge of local City and County history, organizations, and connections.
· Non-profit experience is preferred, including history working with a Board of Directors.
· A high level of computer proficiency is preferred.
· A willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include night and weekend events.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email in PDF FORMAT:
· A resume
· A two-page or less cover letter that provides information on why you are interested in the position and a brief overview of your qualifications
· Three professional references
· A brief professional writing sample or past grant sample
Email PDF packets to BoardACK@gmail.com
No phone calls, please. All communication will be with the Arts Council of Kern Board of Directors, not ACK office staff, and should be directed to BoardACK@gmail.com
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes health insurance benefits and a profit-sharing bonus structure.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through June 11 or until filled.