Reports to the Director of Advancement and Communications
Part time, 20/hours a week. This position may be combined with the Museum Store and Guest Services Manager’s
position (to create a full time position) if the candidate has appropriate skills and experience.
About the American Museum of Ceramic Art (AMOCA)
AMOCA’s mission is to champion the art, history, creation, and technology of ceramics through exhibitions,
collections, outreach, and studio programming.
Founded in 2001 and opened in September 2004, AMOCA is the largest museum in the United States devoted
exclusively to ceramic art and historic innovations in ceramic technology. A nonprofit organization, AMOCA’s
volunteer board of directors is responsible for policy, direction, and appointing the executive director. Its permanent
collection includes more than 10,000 works. The Museum’s 51,000 square foot facility supports exhibitions,
collections, a museum store, offices, educational areas, and a ceramics studio.
AMOCA is located in a downtown district where art is an important element of a continuing and successful community
revitalization program. The City of Pomona has a rich diversity and boasts a large academic constituency with The
Claremont Colleges, the University of La Verne, Western University of Health Sciences, and California State
Polytechnic University, Pomona, all within a five-mile radius. The Museum is located 35 miles east of downtown Los
The Communications & Membership Manager is responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Membership Services (40%)
● Responsible for writing and designing membership solicitations, renewals, acknowledgements, and internal
● Supports the planning and execution of membership events, including prize solicitation, guest registration,
sponsorships, data input, correspondence, and volunteer coordination as needed.
● As needed, support for the Executive Director and broader development efforts and events.
Communications & Marketing (40%)
● Support the writing and design of communications for weekly and monthly efforts on social media, direct
email marketing, and print pieces.
● Produce and present weekly reports, including basic digital analytics.
● With support from the team, coordinate execution of a weekly social media plan.
● When needed, create platform-specific content including text posts, videos, and graphics.
Other Duties as Assigned (20%)
● Support, along with your colleagues, general business operations, including answering phones, greeting and
directing visitors as needed, and facilitating receptions and events.
● Serve as “weekend manager” when needed.
● Along with the rest of the team, assisting with mailings and event preparation as needed.
● Personal commitment to AMOCA’s mission, vision and values.
● Strong writing skills. Design and photography skills are a plus, but not required.
● Attention to detail.
● Intellectual curiosity, maturity, and sound judgment.
● Ability to communicate in an articulate manner with diverse audiences.
● Outgoing positive attitude and sense of humor.
● Ability to flex time as required (we’re a small team, and we all pitch in on larger events and openings).
● Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
The Communications & Membership Manager will work in general office and museum conditions. Responsibilities will
require evening and weekend hours consistent with the museum’s schedule of events and activities.
Salary: $20 per hour
Benefits include paid vacation, sick time, and holidays.
AMOCA provides health insurance for employees who work 30+ hours per week (50% AMOCA/50% employee)
Please send resume and cover letter to Beth Ann Gerstein at email@example.com. The position will remain open
AMOCA is an equal opportunity employer and deeply values and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.