The Max Thelen Studio Residency provides a quality work and display space for an emerging artist to create artwork and receive community support. The Residency includes a free art studio for one year as well as many additional benefits. Ideal candidates live in Marin, or nearby, and can commit to regularly using the studio and participating in the program activities.
Art Works Downtown offers a diverse mix of studio artists and mediums in the heart of the San Rafael commercial core for almost daily interaction with the public. The Max Thelen Studio is a small, bright studio located on the prime street-level floor of the AWD complex. Art Works Downtown believes that an emerging artist will stimulate new ideas among established AWD studio artists and vice versa. Our community will be better served as they recognize and understand the importance of supporting emerging artists in their career endeavors.
· Free art studio, including utilities, fees and operating costs, 92 sq. ft., see images at www.artworksdowntown.org
· An environment that is supportive and empathetic to the creative process
· Solo exhibition in the Founders’ Gallery, which provides exhibition production experience
· Waived fees for AWD membership and juried exhibitions
· Representation on AWD’s newsletter, website, and social media
· Exposure to large groups of visitors every month during the 2nd Friday Art Walk event
· Scholarship granted for mandatory participation in Marin Open Studios
· Exposure to Gallery procedures and processes
· Exposure to the nonprofit arts organization operation
· Applicants must be in the early stage of their art career with a committed art-making practice.
· Applicants must live in Marin County, CA, or within reasonable commuting distance.
· Visual artists will be considered.
· Deadline to apply May 21, 2021
· Award announced in June of 2021
· Studio Residency to commence in August 1 2020 through July 30 2021
· Founders Gallery exhibition: date to be determined towards the end of the residency
To Apply: Apply through www.callforentry.org
Applicants will be notified of the results via email.
Application requirements include:
· 5 to 10 images
· Up to 5,000 Word Statement introducing yourself as an artist and your artwork
· Required questions:
1. A prime objective of the art studio space is for the selected artist to regularly use the
workspace. This is not a showcase studio, it is a work and display studio. How do you envision using the space?
2. How would an association with the Art Works Downtown artist community benefit you?
3. What are your career ambitions as an artist?
4. Name and contact information of one recommendation—an arts educator, gallerist, or arts professional is preferred.
5. Links to support materials including a website.
6. There is no cost to apply.