2024 Muckenthaler Cultural Center Artist-in-Residence Application Information
The Muckenthaler Center is currently accepting applications for their Artist-in-Residence for 2024. Artists of any and all disciples and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Special consideration is given to artists who live and/or work in Orange County, California
To apply send an email to AIR@TheMuck.org containing the following information:
● A brief history of the artist’s career. It is not essential to have a long prestigious resume. Both well-established and emerging artists are eligible. But it is vital that we know who you are.
● A detailed description of how you would spend your residency year including:
1. What artistic projects you would like to create and how it fits our mission statement.
2. How you would integrate into existing Muck programming (Yes, that will require a bit of research)
3. Why would your residency benefit you, The Muck, and the Community? Our Past Artists in Residence have been:
2019 Lara Wilson – Choreographer and Leader of The Assembly. Lara and her group spent all of 2019 choreographing and workshopping on our stage, a world premiere dance piece reflecting a new view of women in society. Her residency included rehearsals and workshops open to the public, and culminated in a public performance on our main stage.
2020 Katharine Zaun – Poet and Educator. Katharine has used her residency year to create a series of classes and workshops for our community. She also contributes a monthly poem that gets distributed to 60,000 people through our outreach. Her residency culminated in a community-based found poetry project mural that has been featured in the OC Register and the LA Times.
2021 Erin Schalk – Art Educator. Erin specializes in working with students who are visually impaired. Her time with us not only involved designing and teaching that population, but also working with us to make everything we do more accessible. Erin has continued to teach with us even after her residency ended,
2022 Marlo DeLara – Multimedia Artist. Marlo created sound space installations for us that worked as both stand-alone events and as part of an overall presentation.
2023 Jacqueline Alva -Fine artist. – Jac’s residency will culminate with a gallery exhibit in 2024 featuring her work. She has spent her residency year teaching and lecturing on our campus and in the schools where we have been able to place her.
One last word of encouragement. We don’t care if you’re a muralist who only paints miniatures, or a punk-rock theremin player, or a puppet show documentarian. We are searching for ingenuity, dedication, and the ability to integrate into our culture.
The Muckenthaler Cultural Center | 714-738-6595 | www.themuck.org
1201 W. Malvern Ave, Fullerton, CA 92833