MashUp Contemporary Dance Company is seeking a part-time Managing Director. An experienced and
enthusiastic fundraiser, strategic and organized thinker, and self-starter, the Managing Director is
responsible for managing the organization’s business and development operations, and contributing to
community engagement initiatives. Reporting to the company’s Creative Council and Board of Directors
and collaborating with the Creative Producer, this individual will take a leading role in planning and
executing MashUp’s fundraising, financial management, budgetary, and human resource operations,
providing key administrative oversight; as well as conducting research, writing grant proposals and
completing grant reports.
We are looking for someone who, in addition to having the skills to execute the responsibilities below,
has previous professional fundraising and arts management experience, is well versed in cultivating
audiences and donors and in gift solicitation, is an engaging communicator, proactive networker, enjoys a
mix of independent and collaborative team work, and lives in the Los Angeles area. It is also important
that this individual be able to embrace MashUp’s values for empowerment, creativity, community,
diversity, and innovation, and clearly articulate meaning found in MashUp’s mission to uplift womxn
artists and build community through dance.
Specific responsibilities include:
Business & Operations Management
● Execute day-to-day company operations including email correspondence, budget and
bookkeeping, HR/payroll, legal compliance (charity registrations, tax prep, insurance, etc), and
● Strategize with the Creative Council in determining the annual budget and making key ongoing
financial decisions, with ultimate oversight from the Board of Directors.
● Track finances in real-time to ensure accuracy and fiscally responsible choices; manage cash-flow
to ensure payroll needs are met and expenses are covered.
● Liaise with the Board of Directors and prepare required materials for and attend quarterly Board
● Serve as HR point person for all personnel.
● Support Creative Producer by assisting with program vendor negotiations and managing
contracts and payments, volunteer recruitment, and submitting sponsorship/in-kind proposals.
● Ensure MashUp’s office, paper and supply inventory is organized and stored properly at
Frogtown Creative Studios.
● Serve as booking manager/negotiator when applicable.
Donor Management and Growth
● Help meet and expand an approximately $115K annual budget for individual contributions and
● Cultivate community, donor, and prospective donor relationships, build donor pipelines, meet
with potential and current donors.
● Research, maintain, and update major donor prospect lists.
● Lead the strategization and solicitation process for major gifts, with assistance from the Creative
Council and Board of Directors.
● Plan and execute fundraising campaigns.
● Prepare MashUp’s annual impact report, with assistance from Creative Producer and Creative
● Manage any administrative tasks associated with donations, such as providing deposit memos,
ensuring the donor database stays up-to-date, and sending acknowledgements and year-end
● Oversee grant research, strategy, and ongoing funder relationships.
● Guide submission process to appropriate funding opportunities.
● Compile creative input, written narratives, budget, and supplemental materials for submissions.
● Complete all required reports, ensuring the proper information is tracked throughout the grant
cycle and program delivery.
● When relevant, contract and supervise an external grant writer.
● Attend grantee events and any funder hosted networking events on behalf of MashUp
● Plan/Execute fundraising and community-building events to promote organization relationships
and build audience and donor base – including the International Women’s Day Dance Festival
Gala, monthly happy hours, and other events as added/desired/needed.
● Manage vendor relationships.
● Prepare timelines and coordinate logistics for day-of execution, including training any staff and
● Solicit sponsorships and in-kind donations, with assistance from board members.
● Manage administration of any secured sponsorships and in-kind donations, including preparing
support material, outreach, and sending invoices and acknowledgements.
● Act as a spokesperson for the organization’s mission.
● Attend workshops and professional development opportunities on behalf of the company
● Maintain an organized presence/files at the company’s home studio: Gilroy in Frogtown.
● Alongside Creative Council and Creative Producer, network and advocate on behalf of MashUp
within the local dance community and the broader Los Angeles area.
● As a member of a small staff team, willingness to take on other organizational tasks and
responsibilities as needed in collaboration with the Creative Council and Creative Producer.
Schedule — 20-24 hours/week. MashUp expects work time to generally look like (with understanding it
will fluctuate somewhat throughout the year depending on grant cycles and event scheduling):
● Weekly staff meeting with Creative Producer and bi-weekly meeting with Founders (1-2
● Onsite work coordinated to match Creative Producer at least 4 hours/week
● General administration, including bi-weekly payroll monitoring, continual financial tracking and
reconciliations, ensuring ongoing filings, workman’s comp reports, and insurance are up-to-date,
etc. (appx 2-6 hours/week)
● Rest of time (at least 10 hours/week) filled with grant writing, donor/grant research,
audience/donor cultivation efforts, and fundraising event planning.
Salary — Salary negotiable between $25-$35/hour (appx. $28,000-$36,000/year). 96 hours of combined
PTO/Sick time per calendar year. 13 Paid holidays/year paid as half days (4 hours).
Application Process — Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing samples (fundraising and/or
grant writing) to: email@example.com
Company Description —MashUp Contemporary Dance Company’s mission is to uplift female-identifying
artists and build community through contemporary dance, prioritizing innovation, collaboration, and
inclusion in its dedication to the movement of female bodies and feminist ideas.
Leading with core values of empowerment, creativity, community, diversity, and innovation, MashUp is
steadfastly committed to supporting female-identifying artists, sparking conversation around inclusive,
intersectional feminist ideologies, democratizing creative leadership, producing innovative and exciting
dance performances and new works, and working towards a more equitable, inclusive future – where
more voices have the resources to grow and the opportunity to be heard – for the dance industry and
Company Website — https://www.mashupdance.com/