STATUS: 10 Hours/week, 26 weeks/year, non-exempt employee
PAY RATE: $20/hour
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
START DATE: 7/19/21
Who We Are
Shotgun Players is a company of artists determined to create bold, relevant, affordable theatre that inspires and challenges audiences and artists alike to re-examine our lives, our community, and the ever-changing world around us. We are committed to a welcoming and inclusive work culture and audience experience where everyone who walks through our doors feels a deep sense of belonging. We center our values in all that we do and hold ourselves accountable with rigorous, comprehensive, and regular reviews of policies, procedures, and staff. Getting it “right” is not a box we can check. It’s a daily practice and we are all here for that journey!
What We Need
We believe assembling a great team to tell the story is equally as important as selecting a great story. Shotgun Players has achieved national recognition and thrived for nearly 30 years because we’ve been able to attract some of the most talented, thoughtful, and courageous collaborators in the Bay Area. We’re looking for someone who can help us strengthen relationships with existing artists and also serve as an ambassador and bridge to new relationships with artists in our richly diverse Bay Area community.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the scripts in our upcoming season so you can offer suggestions and a wide range of possibilities for how to interpret a character through casting.
- Coordinate all casting calls, including staffing for check in, providing script materials for performers, keeping auditions on schedule, and following up with participants.
- Conduct a thorough search of possible actor candidates for each role.
- Help ensure that casting choices reflect our Values regarding diversity and inclusion.
- Represent the highest standards of our Purpose and Values in all work interactions.
- Meet with directors and choreographers and record their vision for the production and performers.
- Post timely, descriptive audition listings in relevant platforms and have efficient strategy for processing submissions.
- Provide clear, concise instructions and scheduling (including reminders) for actors preparing for auditions.
- Be available to to field phone calls or communications from actors or creative team before and during auditions.
- Ensure that everyone who auditions gets a clear and timely response regarding next steps (release, callback, offer).
- Make all casting offers.
- Cultivate meaningful relationships and partnerships with other theatre arts organizations to create pathways and opportunities for actors.
- Attend performances of multi-genre live performance, document reflections, and begin and maintain relationships with performers. Solicit and capture feedback about local performers from company, board and staff.
- Attend TBAs General Auditions.
- Organize and coordinate Shotgun’s annual general auditions.
- Work with creative team and staff to build efficient and effective audition schedules
- Maintain a current, organized, and easily accessible database of actors
- Maintain records of past auditions and auditor feedback for future reference
- Participate in all HR related trainings
- Proven ability to create a welcoming and comfortable space for all. The Casting Director will often be the first personal contact an artist has with our company.
- Capacity for deep empathy, social and emotional intelligence, especially regarding “releases” for artists who were not cast.
- Ability to imagine and describe the ways a performer could fulfill the needs of the role beyond physical appearance.
- At least 3 years of experience in the Bay Area performing arts (theatre, dance, music etc) community as an artist, student, audience member, volunteer or staff member.
- Experience coordinating both paid staff and volunteers with respect and clarity.
- Demonstrated ability to be both a leader and a team player who works effectively with others, is self-motivated, flexible, and respectful.
- Competency with Google Docs (Excel, Word, Forms etc) and calendar management applications.
- Time-management and organizational skills, and ability to accurately manage a large volume of email communications in a timely manner.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends.
- Ability to speak to the importance and power of a vibrant and inclusive theatre community.
Please complete this form: https://forms.gle/sUYxQUMabV9WoJxS8
This includes uploading a cover letter and your resume and submitting references with contact info. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact: jobsATshotgunplayers.org, with “Casting Director” in the subject line.
To read the full job description online: shotgunplayers.org/online/article/jobs#casting
Shotgun Players is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a welcoming environment where everyone feels valued and appreciated. We honor our inclusive community of artists, audience, staff, board, and company members and celebrate our many differences as we unite in our shared love for theatre. Shotgun Players does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants from underrepresented identities and backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.