A new pilot grant program, Artists Activating Communities (AAC) supports sustained artistic residencies in community settings, demonstrating the arts to be a central component of civic life, and artists to be vital in shaping society. AAC Projects are artist-driven, engage community members as active participants, and activate participants to develop and express their own creativity.
Artists Activating Communities
- A California-based nonprofit arts organization or local arts agency, OR a social service/community nonprofit organization. Organizations such as libraries, housing agencies, senior centers, veterans’ services agencies, or hospitals may be eligible to apply.
- Application must be submitted by a nonprofit organization, but project must be developed in partnership with one or more California-based artists, and the artists’ work must be the focus of the project.
- Applicants to this program are not restricted from applying for and receiving funding from other competitive CAC grants programs as long as those funds are used for different purposes.
- Use of Fiscal Sponsors allowed in this program.
Projects demonstrate how artists are integral to healthy communities and how artists’ projects can bring people together, build community, and foster social progress. Artists and their artistic processes are the center of project activities.
Thoughtful and engaged creative processes will encourage people to be active in their communities. Artist-driven projects will foster shared understanding and a sense of community through participation in the arts.
- Guidelines (UPDATED 2/24/16)
- Online Application instructions
- Apply Online
- Reference Application
All applicants to this program are required to complete a DataArts Cultural Data Profile (CDP) profile and submit a Funder Report along with their application. Access or create your account, and complete this part of your application at DataArts.
Guidelines & Application Available:
March 2, 2016, 5:00 PM
Panel 1 - March 28-30, 2016
Panel 2 - April 6-8, 2016
Grant Activity Period:
June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017