Arts Jobs - DetailDirector of Marketing and Communications
San Francisco, CA
ODC Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Description Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
ODC is a groundbreaking contemporary arts institution, boasting a world class dance company, a state-of-the-art presenting theater, and a dance school for students of all ages. Guided by its Founder and Artistic Director Brenda Way, Co-Artistic Director KT Nelson, and Choreographer/ODC School Director Kimi Okada, ODC is nationally recognized for its entrepreneurial spirit and artistic innovation. Unique for its fully integrated vision, ODC strives to inspire audiences, cultivate artists, engage community, and foster diversity and inclusion through dance performance, training and mentorship. ODC operates a two-building campus consisting of a Dance Commons and the ODC Theater in San Francisco’s Mission District. ODC’s programs and activities have contributed to community development, arts education, and access to creative artmaking for 46 years. The 2017 annual operating budget is approximately $6.3 Million.
The Director of Marketing and Communications (DOC) develops and directs the implementation of all marketing and public relations strategies for the organization, its programs, and activities. S/he is responsible for achieving all earned revenue goals for the organization. The DOC leads initiatives and campaigns to heighten ODC’s institutional identity, promote awareness and recognition of the organization to a broad and diverse constituency, generate and identify new sources of earned revenue for the Company, School, Theater -- which account for approximately 50% of the annual budget -- and support fundraising activities. The DOC collaborates regularly with artistic directors and senior staff, and manages a full-time Marketing Campaign Manager, Digital Marketing Manager, and Client & Patron Services Manager, as well as contract publicists. The DOC serves as primary staff liaison to the Marketing Advisory Committee of the Board.
- Recommend and achieve established annual earned revenue goals for all programs; develop annual marketing plans to support these goals and activities, as well as further awareness of ODC’s brand and activities
- Direct marketing campaigns for Company home seasons and performances, the School, the Theater, and space rental programs
- Create compelling institutional marketing materials, communications, and collateral for all programs and projects
- Develop and manage marketing and promotion budgets to support the organization’s programs, revenue goals and fundraising activities; provide monthly projections to Finance department and regular reports to the Board
- Analyze patron and student demographics, sales trends, buying patterns, and competition; utilizing data to determine advertising, promotion, and pricing strategies for all performances, classes and ODC’s rental program, in collaboration with appropriate staff
- Identify opportunities and strategies for revenue growth -Develop relationships with local arts organizations, neighborhood groups and residents, and political officials to promote ODC and advance the organization’s reputation
- Serve as primary marketing liaison with ODC Booking Agent and venue/tour presenters; provide promotional materials and ensure compliance with contractual agreements
- Collaborate with Development staff to create and promote media and corporate sponsorship opportunities; provide supporting materials for donor/funder proposals and reports
- Provide staff leadership and support to Marketing Advisory Committee; encourage participation of Board members as marketing and community advocates
- Lead implementation of marketing elements in ODC’s Strategic Plan; identify new marketing elements for consideration • Provide direction and supervise marketing staff, contract publicists, and vendors.
- 3-5 years mid- to senior-level marketing experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in the performing arts
- Visionary and dynamic leader with prior success in a leadership/management role • Persuasive and compelling communicator with superb copywriting and editing abilities
- Highly energetic; effective motivator of staff and volunteers
- Strategic and creative; responsive to changing priorities, opportunities and challenges
- Passionate performing arts consumer and advocate
- Thorough understanding of SF/Bay Area arts audiences and prospective arts lovers • Ability to effectively communicate, sell and translate ODC’s mission/vision and programs to diverse audiences, communities, and individual stakeholders
- Proven success achieving earned revenue goals of $1 Million+ across multiple channels
- Technical expertise and experience in website development, as well as creating print and online publications
- Well-versed in current social media practices and online advertising/promotion; ability to cultivate an effective organizational presence and develop compelling marketing/promotional campaigns across multiple channels
- Keen eye for graphics, publication design, photography, and video
- Thorough understanding of, and facility utilizing customer relationship management systems; Salesforce/Patron Manager knowledge preferred
- Able to work and interact well with individuals from various backgrounds in a culturally diverse, fast-paced, and team-oriented environment to problem-solve and contribute ideas
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field.
Non-profit salary commensurate with experience. Full-time employees accrue sick leave, receive employer-provided life insurance, and ten days of paid vacation each year, and are eligible to participate in the organization’s medical, dental and vision plans. ODC also offers free dance classes to full-time employees.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, CV/resume, salary requirements, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to: HR@odcdance.org. Reference “Director of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Position is open until filled. Principals only. No phone calls please.
ODC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Address: 351 Shotwell Street