Arts Jobs - DetailOn-Call Gallery Preparator
Riverside Art Musuem
The On-Call Gallery Preparator works under the supervision of Exhibition Coordinator or Curator on the installation and de-installation of exhibitions on an as-needed basis. This position is responsible for the safe handling and installation of artwork, construction/preparation of exhibition furniture, painting and maintenance of gallery walls, audio/video equipment set-up, and other duties as directed. The work schedule ranges from 4 to 40 hours per exhibition which may occur 12-36 times per year. Occasional weekend and/or evening hours may be required. Exhibitions may be located on or off site. This position reports directly to an Exhibitions staff member.
Essential Duties Summary
- Installs and de-installs exhibitions as assigned and as-needed by Exhibitions staff. Follows Gallery staff instructions to ensure safe-handling of art objects.
- Handles artwork in a proper and careful manner. Installs/de-installs, unpacks/repacks artwork as directed.
- Sets up and strikes audio and/or video equipment.
- Prepares gallery for exhibitions. Repairs, paints, and maintains gallery walls. Repairs and maintains gallery floor.
- Constructs temporary walls, pedestals, and other display furniture as needed.
- Completes condition reports for incoming and outgoing artwork. Documents and reports all defects and/or signs of deterioration to Gallery staff.
- Keeps tools and supplies clean and organized.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must have some experience handling, installing, packing artwork. Acceptable experience includes personal artwork production; museum or gallery employment, internship, or volunteer work; employment with packing/crating/transport company.
- Must be knowledgeable in basic carpentry, woodworking skills, and/or experience using hand tools and wood shop equipment.
- Must have general knowledge of wall building, drywall finishing, and painting.
- Must be able to complete physically demanding tasks, climb ladders, and lift and carry objects weighing 30 pounds.
- Must be able to work independently with little or sporadic supervision.