Arts Jobs - DetailVolunteers & Concessions Manager
Job Title: VOLUNTEER & CONCESSIONS MANAGER
Department: Glendale Arts Operations
Reports To: Director of Theatre Operations
Subordinates: Concessions Attendants
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Volunteer & Concessions Manager reports to the Director of Theatre Operations, or other appropriate manager, and is responsible for the recruitment, orientation, scheduling, strategic growth, incentives, and documentation of the Glendale Arts Volunteer Program. They are also responsible for maintaining current and detailed profiles of volunteers in the File Maker Database. The Volunteer & Concessions Manager is also responsible for managing concessions at the Alex Theatre including: product ordering, product development, market development, signage, pricing, and increasing operational efficiency.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Be the organization’s primary information contact for all volunteers.
- Liaise with CEO and Department Heads to assess volunteer needs throughout the organization; advertise these opportunities to current volunteers and schedule volunteers as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of all volunteer profiles, hours, and performance evaluations in the File Maker Database.
- Lead an active recruitment campaign to build a diverse, active, and engaged volunteer program.
- Maintain and update all forms, documents, and manuals related to the
- Volunteer Program.
- Coordinate and lead regular volunteer orientations to integrate new recruits into the active volunteer pool.
- Coordinate with Department Heads to ensure appropriate performance appraisals of volunteers and the issuance of incentives and awards as earned.
- Organize the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Lead the planning and strategic growth of the volunteer program in collaboration with the CEO, and the Director of Theatre Operations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work with the Director of Theatre Operations in creating and maintaining an ongoing staffing plan for Concessions Attendants.
- Assist with the active recruitment and hiring of Concessions Attendants as requested by the Director of Theatre Operations.
- Provide appropriate training for all concessions attendants by leading the Concessions Department Orientation, coordinate all subsequent training shifts, and verifying the completion of training.
- Ensure that all Front of House staff complete and maintain current food handler’s certifications.
- Assist the Director of Theatre Operations in scheduling Concessions Attendants per show requirements.
- With the Director of Theatre Operations and in accordance with the organization’s cash handling and credit transactions policies, establish and train staff on all the various protocols for money handling and final reporting of income and tips.
- Observe concessions staff in working conditions and take notes on adherence to food handling safety, customer service, and proper money handling.
- Suggest and help to implement technologies and protocols to improve operational efficiency and consistency.
- During shows, will be required to perform duties as a member of the concessions team, a concessions floor manager on large shows, or as an assistant house manager.
- Gather feedback from other staff and provide positive reinforcement and constructive criticism to concessions staff.
- Assist Director of Theatre Operations in preparing official employee reviews.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Responsible for conducting basic market research on potential audiences to propose products and promotions for specific shows.
- Responsible for maintaining records of concession sales per performance and/or special event
- Responsible for working with the Director of Theatre Operations, Marketing and Events Director and / or Front of House staff to develop product promotions, signage and menus while ensuring brand consistency.
- Responsible for collaborating on product pricing with the CEO and Director of Theatre Operations.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate concessions inventory for Alex Theatre performances and special events.
- Working with the Director of Theatre Operations, develop and implement a product inventory system that includes a pre and post show inventory count and a weekly reconciliation.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalency required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent theatre experience preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers or docents preferred.
- Experience working in a bar preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to conduct online research.
- A strong public speaker.
- The ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to read, write, and take direction and communicate in English.
- Fluency in a second language is preferred but not required (Spanish or Arminian particularly desirable).
- Familiarity with working with a computer is required.
- Experience in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Detail oriented.
- Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license and proof of automobile insurance coverage.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Volunteer & Concessions Manager is a physically demanding position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, stand, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will regularly use a computer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Volunteer & Concessions Manager is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but is occasionally loud.
To apply, please submit BOTH a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org