Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Registrar
Minnesota Street Project Art Services
San Francisco, CA
Minnesota Street Project Art Services provides a comprehensive, concierge-based art collection management service to private collectors, galleries, and institutions. Adhering to the best art handling practices, we document, inventory, store, and present artwork in conformance with museum standards, working with an extensive network of affiliated providers to crate, ship, conserve, and appraise client artworks. Our 50,000 ft2 storage facility features state-of the art environmental-control, security, and fire safety systems, as well as attractive client viewing rooms and a photography facility.
We are currently looking for an Assistant Registrar, with administrative expertise, to join our team of professionals.
- Assists the Lead Registrar with inventorying, tracking and updating of all client database records, condition reporting, filing and uploading client documentation (bills of lading [BOLs], pro formas, appraisals, images, etc.), and maintaining all registration procedures and protocols (including database descriptions, IPM plans, digital archiving techniques, and packing standards).
- Processes all monthly invoicing within our proprietary database, ARTracker.
- Expedites and monitors coordinated shipments, crating and framing orders, and conservation appointments, working with applicable vendors when alterations occur.
- Supports the scheduling department with calendar maintenance and daily BOL creation.
- Anticipates incoming/outgoing shipments and works with preparators to ensure works are properly staged.
- Aids in general administrative duties.
- Exhibits a friendly and approachable demeanor and acts as an ambassador for the overall Project.
- Ensures strong attention to detail and clear communication is facilitated and deadlines are continually met.
- Attends weekly department meetings, as well as occasional programming events at 1275 Minnesota Street.
- Helps keep the office and warehouse consistently clean and useable.
- Firm understanding of art shipping and storage logistics, as well as best art handling practices.
- BA in Museum/Curatorial Studies, Humanities, Art History or equivalent experience required; MA preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a museum, gallery or arts organization; understanding of conservation practices, as well as art handling and storing techniques.
- Exhibits a strong knowledge of art and art practices, especially within a warehouse environment.
- Demonstrates concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work; excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Adept at quickly identifying and resolving problems, ensuring projects and staff stay on schedule.
- Works well independently and in a team, gracefully shifting between office, client and warehouse settings.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. and stand for several hours at a time.
- Proficient with Mac operating systems and software, including FilemakerPro and Adobe and Microsoft Suites.
Please email a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements with the subject line Assistant_Registrar_LAST NAME to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. We will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. Thanks for your interest in Minnesota Street Project Art Services.