Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Preparator
Walnut Creek, CA
The Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, CA seeks a highly motivated, experienced and detail-oriented Assistant Preparator to join our team.
This position is an as needed position for deinstallation & installation dates, about 10 full weeks of work per year. Compensation is $18/hr.
Start Date: August 28th, 2017
Availability: Mon – Fri (8:30am – 5:00pm) on needed dates
The ideal candidate has the following:
- At least two years of art handling experience in a gallery or museum with excellent references
- Working knowledge of safe and proper art handling, packing & installation methods suitable to a wide range of media
- Capable of excelling in a detail oriented work environment
- Basic maintenance and building skills including carpentry, wall repair, painting, fixture fabrication and picture framing
- Professional demeanor, positive, upbeat attitude
- Ability to work with adhesive vinyl signage and object labels
- Must exhibit an ability to pay careful attention to detail at a high level
- Physically able to use and operate ladders and platform lifts, and safely lift and move objects of varied dimensions weighing up to 75lbs. with assistance
- Knowledge of and passion for fine art
- Ability to follow instructions and work independently
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Refined taste in various genres of music
- Install and de-install artworks for exhibitions
- Safely receive and handle crates, packaging and artworks
- For traveling exhibitions: complete condition reports for artworks
- Unpack and repack artworks safely for exhibition, storage, shipping or off-site deliveries
- Placing artworks of various weights and dimensions in the gallery prior to hanging and installation
- Transport of art to and from the gallery in City trucks.
- Lighting exhibitions
Applicants with no previous museum or gallery experience will not be considered.