Arts Jobs - DetailWood/me
Southern California Institute of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA
The Wood/metal Fabrication Technician is responsible for assisting students, faculty and staff in the completion of coursework and research using all Fabrication Shop equipment. Within a busy and fast-paced academic environment, the Wood/metal Fabrication Technician will also be responsible for advising all Shop users in the safe and proper operation of all equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing and troubleshooting digital files
- Advising others in the safe and proper use of woodworking tools and equipment
- Working with shop staff, students and faculty to complete construction of furniture, fixtures, jigs for the Shop and campus use
- Enforcing shop policies and protocols with shop users
- Aiding in the supervision of student workers
- Repair and Maintenance of equipment
- Maintaining a clean shop environment
- Tool circulation and inventory tracking
- metalworking, welding and thermo-forming
- Other tasks, as assigned
- 1 year experience working with and using software for: 3D Printing, CNC Laser Cutting, CNC Milling
- 1 to 2 years’ experience with general woodworking using standard saws, jointers, planers, shapers, sanders, etc.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience with general metalworking/welding using saws, grinders, brakes and benders, etc.
- Preferred but not required experience working with: 3D Printing, CNC Laser Cutting, CNC Milling, Thermo-forming, Plastic Molding, Plaster Casting and Material Finishing
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Illustrator
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50+ lbs.
- Comfortable working in a dusty and dirty environment
- Using appropriate required safety/protective equipment: face shields, goggles, protective clothing, and respiratory equipment
- Flexibility schedule- will be required to work additional hours during peak periods or to cover shop staff, up to 40 hours a week
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
- Experience in an Educational/Academic setting preferred
We offer part-time employees paid time off.
Address: 960 E. 3rd Street