Arts Jobs - DetailDigital Fabrication Technician PT
Southern California Institute of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA
The Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) is seeking a part-time Digital Fabrication Technician to be a part of a diverse community of 500 students, 80+ faculty and 50 staff. SCI-Arc brings together accomplished architectural professionals who encourage creativity, share knowledge, and foster independence by focusing on the individual learning experience.
The Digital Fabrication Technician is responsible for assisting students, faculty and staff in the completion of coursework and research using all Fabrication Shop facilities, which includes digital and analogue equipment. Within a busy and fast-paced academic environment, the Digital Fabrication Technician will also be responsible for advising all shop users in the safe and proper operation of all equipment.
- Processing and troubleshooting digital files
- Advising others in the safe and proper use of woodworking/metalworking tools and equipment
- Working with shop staff, students, and faculty to complete construction of furniture, fixtures, jigs for the Shop and campus use
- Enforcing Shop policies and protocols with shop users
- Aiding in the supervision of student workers
- Repair and Maintenance of equipment
- Maintaining a clean shop environment
- Tool circulation and inventory tracking
- metalworking, welding and thermo-forming
- Other tasks, as assigned
- 1-2 years experience working with and using software for: 3D Printing, CNC Laser Cutting, CNC Milling
- 1-2 years experience with general woodworking using standard saws, jointers, planers, shapers, sanders, etc.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Illustrator
- Must be capable of lifting up to 50+ lbs.
- Comfortable working in a dusty and dirty environment
- Using appropriate required safety/protective equipment: face shields, goggles, protective clothing, and respiratory equipment
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
- Experience in an Educational/Academic setting preferred
SCI-Arc offers its part-time employees paid time off along with the opportunity to be part of an exciting and growing Fabrication Department staffed by a team of talented and creative individuals from varied design and building backgrounds.
SCI-Arc is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
Address: 960 E. 3rd Street