Arts Jobs - DetailExecutive Director
Zaccho Dance Theatre
San Francisco, CA
Job Opportunities: Executive Director
Zaccho Dance Theatre, an internationally known nonprofit dance company located in San Francisco, CA, is seeking an Executive Director.
Artistic Director Joanna Haigood co-founded Zaccho Dance Theatre in 1980. Zaccho Dance Theatre's home is San Francisco's Bayview Hunters Point where Zaccho manages a large studio that is utilized for rehearsal, performances, and educational activities for youth and adults. Zaccho provides performances in San Francisco, nationally and internationally as well as an arts education program for the local community and classes open to the public.
Now in its thirty-seventh season, Zaccho Dance Theatre is hiring a highly qualified person to fill an Executive Director role. This is a 35 hour/week position plus health benefits. Zaccho Dance Theatre is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, and employs 7 full and part-time staff members, 10 part-time professional dancers, and 8 part-time teachers.
The Executive Director is a strategic thinker and works to fulfill Zaccho’s mission by working with Artistic Director, Joanna Haigood, and the Board. She/he is responsible for general operating, administrative and financial management of the organization as well as develops and manages organizational policies approved by the Board in areas such as operations, fundraising, finance and budgeting, marketing and communications, community outreach, and touring.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the founding Artistic Director (Haigood) to successfully implement new and existing artistic programs; to ensure appropriate visibility and awareness of Zaccho’s programs and educational activities, and to develop strategic collaborations that achieve ongoing local, national and international recognition.
- Develop an annual budget for Board approval.
- Diversify the organization's sources of income, generate unrestricted funding, increase earned revenues, and expand corporate funding relationships.
- Lead the organization's fundraising programs, including grant writing, special events, and project funding. Lead staff and Board in development activities; maintain and expand strong relationships with the funding community.
- Develop marketing and public relations programs to achieve earned income goals for ticket sales, class fees, and other revenue sources while enhancing Zaccho’s visibility and reputation, including website and electronic promotion activities.
- Develop and maintain good relations with venues, strategic partners, other arts/cultural organizations, public agencies, and the media.
- Works with Artistic Director to develop programs and services consistent with community needs and regularly obtains statistical and qualitative feedback about program and service delivery
- Monitors programs and services to ensure consistency with criteria established by funding sources and the mission and goals of the organization
- Acts as a spokesperson for the organization via speaking engagements, public and social appearances, and, as requested, at fundraising events and solicitations
- Provide general oversight and direction for staff and other professionals employed by Zaccho.
- Ensures the development of appropriate policies and procedures for staffing compliance as well as oversees the evaluation process for all staff members.
- Plans for staffing needs throughout the organization as well as approves the hiring of all staff
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board President.
- Develop, implement and monitor a long-term strategic plan in coordination with the Artistic Director, Board and staff. Brings financial reports, recommendations and decisions to the Board as appropriate
- Develop and maintain effective communications with the Board President, Board of Directors, Artistic Director, staff, volunteers, and artists.
- Attends all Board meetings
- Acts as a resource to Board of Directors so that policy decisions are made on an informed basis (strategic planning, fundraising, etc.)
- Develop/expand a strong Board of Directors and work with the Board to achieve the organization's strategic direction, vision and long range planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Experienced fundraiser for organizations with annual budgets of at least $500,000 and a proven track record of building and maintaining annual fundraising efforts.
- Established network within the nonprofit funding community, with proven success in cultivating and maintaining relationships with foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individuals.
- At least 5 years in management, including working with and developing/expanding a Board of Directors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficient with standard computer programs. Familiarity with applications including Office Suite.
- Experience in initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services.
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to lift and move paperwork or equipment up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle objects; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, and crouch; talk and hear.
- Knowledge of and passion for the performing arts.
- Substantial career experience at a management level of an arts organization.
- Master's degree in related field.
- Competitive, based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, including some benefits.
Accepting applications until position is filled.
Address: Zaccho Dance Theatre 1777 Yosemite Ave #330 San Francisco, CA 94124