Arts Jobs - DetailArt Preparator
Palm Springs Art Museum
Palm Springs, CA
Under the direction of the Exhibition Designer/Installation Manager, fabricates and installs museum exhibits. Responsible for transporting, preparing, and installing/removing art objects; maintaining care of exhibitions; maintaining and/or producing didactic materials; and maintaining storage areas.
- Participates in the safe transport of art objects to and from the exhibition space;
- Assists in preparation of galleries and installation of pedestals, Plexiglas tops, platforms, walls, graphics, title walls, and exhibition labels;
- Assists in the preparation of objects for exhibition, including: mounting, matting, and framing;
- Assists in maintaining/producing didactic materials, including digital media, exhibition labels, informational graphic panels, and cut vinyl signage;
- Inspects art exhibition areas to determine safety of objects; and performs necessary upkeep to ensure visitors’ continuing enjoyment of an exhibition, i.e. replaces lamps and labels, dusts, cleans Plexiglas, etc.;
- Helps maintain safe, clean, and well-organized art vaults, receiving room, frame room, and prep area, and adequate supplies for packing, storing, and exhibition prep;
- Assists Registrars by locating/returning objects to storage; conducting collection inventories; reporting changes/damage to artwork; and aiding with storage projects at three museum sites and several offsite storage facilities.
Team-oriented individual with BA in art, design, or related field. Equivalent experience in installation and fabrication of museum exhibits will be considered. Must be able to multi-task under multiple deadlines. Good working knowledge of installation methods (mounting, matting, framing) required; woodworking and/or metalworking skills a plus. Experience using heavy equipment, including scissor-lift, gantry, pallet jack, and table lift, required. Must have work experience driving a medium-size truck, safe driving record, able to lift 50 pounds, and available to work occasional overtime, night, and weekend shifts.