Arts Jobs - DetailCreative Communications Instructor
Cal Performances is recruiting for a full-time temporary/limited position of Creative Communications Instructor.
Cal Performances is the performing arts presenting, commissioning and producing organization based at the University of California, Berkeley.
AileyCamp is a nationally proven arts education program that uses dance as a vehicle for developing self-esteem, creative expression, and critical thinking skills among 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students (aged 11-14) who are at risk of dropping out of school. AileyCamp also provides exceptional dance training to middle school students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. The project was inspired by the work of the late Alvin Ailey, internationally renowned dance artist, choreographer, and founder of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre. Please visit http://calperformances.org/community/aileycamp/ to learn more about AileyCamp and Cal Performances.
The Creative Communications Instructor of AileyCamp will introduce and explore components of creative expression with the AileyCampers through creative writing and story telling, theater, and/or visual arts, depending upon the training and expertise of the Instructor. S/he will also collaborate with the Personal Development Instructor to co-teach each of 4 camp groups, combining youth development, personal growth skills, and creative expression for middle school aged students.
- Five day work week – Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., all weeks except the week of staff training which may include a Saturday or Sunday.
- Teach four classes per day, four days per week or as determined by the Director.
- Participate and oversee campers as directed on weekly field trips.
- Participate in the general oversight of the campers, including meal times, and camper free periods.
- Participate in individual and AileyCamp staff meetings.
- Develop curriculum and plan lessons (individually and collaboratively with other instructors) that will help AileyCampers develop positive methods of expression, self image and self-esteem.
- Provide schedule of proposed class content to Managing Director.
- Coordinate with Group Leaders, Group Leader Mentor, and other staff to assess campers’ individual needs.
- Produce camper progress evaluations at midterm and at the end of camp.
- Prepare a camper presentation for final performance.
- Requires teaching experience in creative writing and/or poetry/spoken word, and one or more arts genres including visual arts, music, or theater, preferably in a Youth Development and/or Youth Voice context.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or equivalent experience, in these art forms or related field, and be able to demonstrate reasonable proficiency in the others.
- Significant experience working with urban children and families representing the diversity of Bay Area life.
- Ability and experience in developing curriculum to meet specific learning and creative goals, and to co-create curriculum with experienced teachers.
- Excellent leadership skills including an ability to command respect and motivate achievement while working effectively with young people.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate well to a diverse population, and work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines in a self directed, prioritized and calm manner.
- Flexibility to meet changing needs and priorities as they occur.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass background check.
- Experience as a professional writer.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English.
This is a full-time temporary/limited position with a start date of June 19, 2017 and an end date of August 4, 2017. Five day work week – Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., all weeks except the week of staff training which may include a Saturday or Sunday. Pay is $5,600 total for period of June 19 to August 4, 2017.
For full job description and to apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu/(search by the Job ID #22973). When applying, please include a cover letter with your resume.