Arts Jobs - DetailIntegrated Learning Teaching Artist
Montalvo Arts Center
Our Teaching Artist Program partners with Bay Area schools to provide training and tools that allow educators to create an integrated learning environment in their classrooms while satisfying Common Core requirements and other curriculum demands.
Teaching Artists work closely with teachers to collaboratively design and implement lesson plans focusing on multidisciplinary performing and visual arts practices. This integrated approach gives students a concrete means to conceptually master subjects like science, math, technology, language arts, and more.
Students work independently and collaboratively to become self-directed learners and leaders while teachers learn to employ integrated learning methodologies—skills they are then able to implement long after the completion of their multi-week program.
Montalvo’s staff takes an active role in placing artists best suited to the needs of individual classrooms, grades, or schools, ensuring a successful collaborative partnership.
- Work professionally as a visual or performing artist and artist educator
- Be able to draw curriculum connections, most specifically with English Language Arts, Math, and Science Curriculum
- Have previous experience working with arts integration in schools as a teaching artist and be able to provide references from such work
- Be able to work collaboratively with teachers and administration
- Be organized and able to communicate effectively to collaborating teachers in a timely manner
- Be willing and able to attend professional development sessions for both Teaching Artists and teachers
- Flexible, positive, creative, and willing to adapt teaching to each specific residency
An understanding of the Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and Integrated Learning pedagogies is a plus.
These positions will be scheduled 10 weeks in the spring of 2017, roughly January through April. Teaching Artists will likely be scheduled 1-2 days per week, with flexibility. Pay is dependent on experience.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest, resume, and three professional references to:
Director of Education
Montalvo Arts Center
Contact:Charlee Wagner, Director of Education
Address: 15400 Montalvo Road