Arts Jobs - DetailEducation Assistant
La Jolla Music Society
La Jolla, CA
Job Type: Part-time (Year Round)
42 weeks / 20 hours per week
6 weeks (mid-July thru August) / 29 hours per week
*Must be able to work nights and weekends.
Rate: $12-$14 per hour based on experience
Direct Reports: Allison Boles, Education Manager and Jordanna Rose, Artist Services Coordinator
Join the dynamic team at La Jolla Music Society (LJMS), one of Southern California’s premier presenters of world-class performing arts. LJMS contributes to San Diego’s cultural vitality through year-round multi-disciplinary presentations of internationally acclaimed orchestras, chamber music, recitals, jazz, dance, and special events, in addition to our annual chamber music festival, SummerFest.
The Artistic & Education Assistant will support the Artistic & Education Department by helping to coordinate logistics for visiting performing artists, managing department’s daily administrative operations, assisting with the planning and executing of our Education Program and projects developed by the Director of Artistic Planning & Education.
Artistic + Education Responsibilities
- Assist the Education Manager with the planning, scheduling and execution of artist residencies, student performances, seminars, masterclasses throughout the winter season and summer festival.
- Assist the Education Manager and Artist Services Coordinator with coordinating logistics and completing tasks related to visiting artists (welcome packets, backstage hospitality, travel arrangements, itineraries, rehearsal schedules, etc.).
- Concert duty, as assigned (weekends and evenings apply).
- Provide artist transportation, as assigned.
- Coordinate Education Tickets, allocation and distribution.
- Assist Education Manager with fostering relationships with administrators and teachers from local K-12 schools.
- Support maintenance of Artistic & Education Databases related to education tracking and artistic planning and contract distribution.
- Track and process all department check requests.
- Assist Education Manager with website maintenance, calendar, and communication (newsletters and invitations) of important dates to ticket holders, internal staff and board.
- Manage all aspects of SummerFest music preparation and distribution, including but not limited to photocopying, assembling, marking string parts and obtaining scores for filing, as assigned.
- Assist Director of Artistic Planning & Education with projects, as assigned.
- College degree preferred.
- Knowledge of classical music repertoire.
- Thrives in a multi-project environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Friendly and professional demeanor. Able to communicate effectively in front of large groups, with visiting artists, children, local community leaders, school administrators, and LJMS donors and patrons.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus, but not required.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.