Arts Jobs - DetailAssistant Dean for Advancement
USC School of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT USC: The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is a world-class research university located in the heart of downtown L.A., and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. Established in 1919, the USC School of Architecture was the first of its kind in Southern California. With 5,600 students and 100 faculty members, the School has the reach and scale of few others nationwide. Educational offerings include architecture, landscape architecture, building science, and heritage conservation. With the appointment of Dean Milton S. F. Curry on July 1, 2017, the School is being positioned as a leader in architecture and design education. New initiatives in interdisciplinary education, applied technologies, critical theory and diversity will further situate the School at the center of contemporary debates and new trajectories of discourse.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to and working closely with the Dean, the Assistant Dean will create and lead a strategic advancement program for the School of Architecture. S/he will play a key role in translating institutional priorities into compelling new fundraising initiatives, shape the case for giving, and manage a portfolio of major gift prospects. The Assistant Dean will be a bold thinker as well as a strategic, yet “hands-on” executor who will lead its campaign and build a robust major gift program. Reporting to the Assistant Dean is a team of three. It is anticipated that the Assistant Dean will build the team, consistent with goals, objectives, and results over time.
FUNDING: The School of Architecture is participating in USC’s historic $6 billion comprehensive campaign. The School’s campaign, currently in the quiet phase, has successfully secured $27 million toward an initial goal of $75 million. Annually, the School raises an average of $4 million in unrestricted support, in collaboration with the central University and advancement team. Approximately 60% of the School’s philanthropic support comes from non-alumni. Key objectives are to expand and diversify the funding base over time, to significantly increase philanthropic revenue, and to create a robust culture of major gift philanthropy.
- Significant experience building the development function for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial institution; education, arts, preservation, architecture, social justice, community development and other relevant fields.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of institutional administration, donor/alumni relations, and development.
- Track record of success as a front-line major gift solicitor.
- Successful capital campaign leadership experience.
- Board/volunteer relations experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of/passion for architecture, landscape, urban design and development is preferred.
- Willingness to experiment with new approaches to advancement and resource development.
- Collaborative team player; a mentor and motivator of staff.
- A builder and change agent—the ability to drive growth and to achieve ambitious results.
- Sound financial acumen and knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring, and administration.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to travel, as necessary, to fulfill obligations of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred. 5 years combined experience/education as a substitute for minimum education.
Contact:USC Search Committee