Arts Jobs - DetailMarketing Director
La Jolla Music Society
La Jolla, CA
Position: Marketing Director
Reports to: President & Artistic Director
Status: Full-time, salaried
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus full benefits
The Marketing Director is a critical member of the senior management team who is responsible for creating, managing, and executing all marketing and sales initiatives to maximize revenue potential and to reinforce the organization’s positioning in the community and the industry. The position builds, maintains, and leverages a variety of strategic partnerships, and communicates constantly with key internal and external constituencies. The position manages a team of marketing, ticket services, and house staff to execute all strategies to plan, on time, on budget and in adherence to La Jolla Music Society’s high standards of quality. The position creates and manages the marketing and ticket services department budgets. The Marketing Director often acts as a public spokesperson for the organization, proactively creating and maintaining relationships with the press and throughout the community. A proactive team player, the position works hand-in-hand with the senior staff to collaboratively achieve organizational goals. The position will also be responsible for positioning launching the inaugural season of The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center (“The Conrad”).
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop marketing and sales strategies to maximize annual ticket revenues and maintain LJMS’s position in the community and the industry. Identify and implement strategies that to diversify marketing efforts and maximize ROI through initiatives including, but not limited to, ethnic marketing campaigns, affinity groups, special events, outreach, and enrichment activities. Proactively ensure that all marketing efforts are produced on time and on budget.
- Responsible for La Jolla Music Society and “The Conrad” brand maintenance, communicating consistently with key constituencies both internally and externally.
- Direct the creation of all marketing collateral, including but not limited to advertising, promotional, direct mail, brochures, program books, gala invitations, website management, e-mail communications, and press releases. Develop key messages and brand strategy. Create and reinforce all LJMS style and design standards. Ensure all public materials are correct, consistent, clear, complete and are consistent with LJMS’s style guidelines.
- Develop strategy for all advertising, including print, radio and broadcast media. Oversee and manage the advertising budget.
- Create, manage, and leverage strategic partnerships with media, business partners, arts partners, vendors, agencies, community leaders, and organizations, etc.
- Serve as primary media spokesperson, and manage all media relations. Set key messages and public relations strategy, including crisis communications.
- Oversee all front-of-house management, working closely with La Jolla Music Society house manager and usher staff, as well as house and box office staff of external venues. Ensure that customer service protocol meets and/or exceeds patron expectations.
- Develop annual marketing and ticket services department budgets. Oversee all marketing and ticket services department income and expenses, ensuring adherence to budget and plan.
- Recommend and implement, with approval, series and single ticket revenues projections based on sound forecasting methodologies. Advise artistic department on marketing feasibility issues for specific artists or events.
- Approve all purchase orders and invoicing for the department. Negotiate, execute, and manage contracts with all marketing vendors and agencies.
- Analyze and monitor sales trends through accurate reporting and regular dialogue with staff, customers and other key constituencies. Report to senior staff and board of directors as necessary.
- Direct and manage all aspects of the LJMS website. Guarantee that all content is relevant and up-to-date. Conduct analysis to evaluate consumer behaviors in the web environment and adjust accordingly.
- Manage all staff, interns, and volunteers in the marketing and ticket services departments. Execute performance reviews and make recommendations for hiring and separations.
- Work closely with Production/Education Manager to create, organize, and/or execute enrichment programs to enhance ticket sales, brand, and/or positioning. Ensure public communications appropriately support education/outreach activities.
- Work closely with Development Director on grants and sponsorships, as necessary.
- Manage La Jolla Music Society merchandise sales and organize merchandise sales with third-party vendors. Ensure concessions at all venues meet La Jolla Music Society quality standards.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and news—locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. Advise on advocacy efforts and government relations.
- Serve as LJMS representative at events, working closely with artistic, production and education departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years experience in marketing, communications, advertising, PR, journalism or related field — preferably for a performing arts presenter, mid-sized or larger non-profit arts organization. Strategic thinker, with background in branding, audience/business development, or strategic partnerships desirable.
- 5-7 years managerial experience leading sales and creative teams, both in-house and external.
- Proven track record in meeting or exceeding sales revenue projections, managing public or community relations programs, and achieving organizational goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; public speaking and group presentation skills.
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide variety of audiences through various mediums (verbal, print, online).
- High level of organization, attention to detail and accuracy. Strong analytical skills.
- Knowledge of basic principles of graphic design and layout, understanding of print production processes and website design/maintenance.
- Budget management experience.
- Experience in performance (front-of-house) management, or customer service management.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office software. Working understanding of databases and ticket software (ProVenue Max, Tessitura, ArtSoft or Ticketmaster preferred). Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, In Design or Dreamweaver a plus. Arts Vision experience a plus.
- Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, advertising, journalism or related field preferred.
- Interest in classical music or performing arts a plus.
- Attendance at most LJMS events is required, including nights and weekends. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
La Jolla Music Society is an equal opportunity employer.