Arts Jobs - DetailDigital Fabrication Technician
Southern California Institute of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA
The Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) is seeking a part time Digital Fabrication Technician to be a part of a diverse community of 500 students, 80+ faculty and 50 staff. SCI-Arc brings together accomplished architectural professionals who encourage creativity, share knowledge, and foster independence by focusing on the individual learning experience.
The Digital Fabrication Technician is responsible for assisting students, faculty and staff in the completion of coursework and research using all Fabrication Shop facilities, which includes Digital and Analogue equipment. Within a busy and fast-paced Academic environment, the Digital Fabrication Specialist will also be responsible for advising all Shop users and training Shop staff in the safe and proper operation of all Digital equipment. This position reports to the Fabrication Shop Manager.
Click here for application link
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in supervising 3D Printing operations, Laser cutting operations, CNC Router Mill operations and 3D Scanning operations
- Process and troubleshoot digital files
- Enforce Shop policies and protocols
- Assist in training regular/temp staff
- Assist in the training and supervision of student workers
- Repair and maintenance of equipment
- Maintain a clean shop environment
- Tool circulation and inventory tracking
- Working with Shop staff/students/faculty to complete construction of furniture, fixtures, jigs for Shop and campus use
- Other tasks, as assigne
- Working knowledge of CAD software (Rhino/AutoCad/Maya/Etc)
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Minimum 1 year experience operating CNC Router Mills
- Minimum 1 year experience with 3D printing equipment and related software (Stratasys/3D Systems/Mcor preferred)
- Minimum 1 year experience with CNC laser cutting equipment and related software (Universal laser systems preferred)
- Minimum 1 year woodworking experience (table saws/band saws/jointer/planer/sanders/power tools)
- metalworking experience (welding/cutting/bending/finishing) preferred
- Comfortable wearing the appropriate respiratory equipment for work in a dusty environment, or where fumes are present, along with any other required safety equipment (face shields/goggles/protective clothing)
- Be able to lift and maneuver up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and some holidays as needed
SCI-Arc is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.