Arts Jobs - DetailExhibits Manager
Go For Broke Education Center
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, CA
FULL TIME with benefits
Go For Broke National Education Center (GFBNEC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that educates the public on the valor of Japanese American veterans of World War II and their contributions to democracy. Our goal is to inspire new generations to embody the Nisei veterans' core values of courage, sacrifice, equality, humility and patriotism. Founded in 1989, GFBNEC maintains the Go For Broke Monument and the interactive “GFBNEC's Defining Courage Exhibition” in downtown Los Angeles, as well as extensive oral histories and archives, education and training programs, and other initiatives. For more information, please visit http://www.goforbroke.org.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Exhibit Manager will lead all efforts with school outreach, school tours, and school programs related to our exhibits and public programs. This individual will work with the Director of Education and Exhibits on a number of projects such as traveling exhibits, transcriptions of oral histories, and public programs. In addition to managing our essay contest and Missions of Courage program, this individual will manage and coordinate “greeters” (docents) and three part-time front desk attendants. GFBNEC is a small institution and the Exhibit Manager will be involved with all aspects of our non-profit from our gala to our volunteer potlucks.
Duties of the Exhibit Manager include, but are not limited to:
School Groups Duties:
- Leads all efforts with school outreach, school tours, and school programs
- Contacts schools and school districts to arrange tours of exhibition
- Books school visits to the exhibition, and maintains the master calendar of school group visits to the exhibition
- Develops, plans, preps, executes, and follows-up all school group tours
- Maintains records and statistics of school group tours and reports these to GFBNEC leadership
- Plans, preps, manages, and executes other school-based programs, as appropriate
Front Desk Duties:
- Manages three part-time front desk attendants
- Schedules and assigns front desk attendants to cover all operating hours
- Trains front desk attendants
- Maintains exhibit surveys and attendance records and reports these to GEBNEC leadership
- Schedules and provides group tours
- Updates exhibit content, as necessary
- Develop temporary exhibitions and traveling exhibitions with Director of Education and Exhibits
- Works with exhibit department interns
B.A. in related field required. 2-3 years of experience required. MA in Museum Studies, History, or related field preferred. Skills should include excellent verbal and written communication and experience working in schools and/or with groups of school-age children. Experience in exhibition development and traveling exhibitions are a plus. Our ideal candidate will be knowledgeable on the Japanese American World War II experience, have a background in museums, and a passion to use the past to inspire the future. Position will report to the Director of Education and Exhibits. Usual schedule is Monday to Friday with some nights and weekends required.
Email a resume and cover letter to Megan Keller at email@example.com with the subject heading Exhibit Manager Opportunity. Submissions received by November 29th will be considered first; opportunity to remain open until filled. Selected individuals will be invited for an interview.