Artist Call DetailBoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena
For Los Angeles artists
Old Pasadena Management District is seeking submissions from artists for BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena - a one-day “art takeover” of historic Old Pasadena taking place Saturday, August 12, 2017. The event will be community-oriented; incorporate imaginative, site-specific, and public installations designed by local artists; and encourage visitors to explore the space, character, and history of Old Pasadena. BoldPas will highlight creativity displayed at numerous “art stops” on merchant storefronts and in other surprising places throughout the district.
Event Date: Saturday, August 12, 2017 – one day only
Location: Public spaces throughout historic Old Pasadena
Application Deadline: Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Contact: Janet Swartz or Sarah Hilbert: firstname.lastname@example.org
Old Pasadena Management District is seeking submissions from artists for BoldPas, a one-day “art takeover” of historic Old Pasadena. The event is designed to build public awareness of Old Pasadena’s unique urban and historic spaces and to encourage visitors to enjoy the space, history, and character of the district. The installations will be large-scale, site-specific, and public installations; they should be community friendly and showcase color, fun, surprise, and playfulness.
Large- and mid-scale, site-specific public installations must:
- Be constructed of lightweight and/or recycled/found materials: paper, cardboard, yarn/string, plastics, etc.
- Showcase bold, bright colors
- Be appropriate for an urban, historic setting
- Be well-constructed and carefully planned to be safe and stable in public, urban areas
- Be suitable for family viewing and non-political
- Be install-able on-site within a 3-hour window
- Require minimum, non-permanent reinforcement or affixation
- Not utilize any open flames, heat source, or heat-producing lighting
NOTE: Due to landmark status of Old Pasadena, installations may not create or leave any permanent marks, residue, holes, or damage of any kind to buildings.
Submissions will be reviewed by staff at Old Pasadena Management, and selected based on the creative concept and proposed execution, and its suitability to the event criteria.
- Artists must live in Los Angeles County and be at least 18 years of age. Pasadena-based artists are especially encouraged to apply. Students or professional artists can apply
- Selected artists must sign a standard agreement outlining the details and terms of the exhibition prior to the work being exhibited at any of the participating locations in Old Pasadena.
- Selected installations will be subject to review and approval by the City of Pasadena permitting office.
- Artists must be available Saturday, August 12, to install, monitor, and dismantle their installation in Old Pasadena.
- The work must be original and not displayed elsewhere at a prior time.
Old Pasadena Management District will award 6 stipends to chosen installations based on scale, artistic merit, originality, and proposed costs: Two at $1,000 each and four at $500 each.
The BoldPas event will be marketed and promoted in the following ways:
- Featured on the homepage of our website and dedicated signature event page
- Artists name, bio, installation description, etc.
- Interactive map of installations and their locations for guided and self-guided walking tours
- Print and digital advertising support
Individual artists may submit up to 3 proposals for the event for any combination of the following:
- Site-specific installation
- Signage reading “Old Pasadena” or “Old Pas”
Please visit www.oldpasadena.org/boldpas for complete information, including all guidelines, examples of installations and signage, and a map of potential installation locations.
Email entries to email@example.com with the subject line Installation Art Submission. Please include for each proposed project:
- A written plan or brief proposal describing the project(s), not exceeding 500 words.
- Up to 4 sketches of proposed installation(s).
- Proposed materials and estimated dimensions.
- A brief (250 words) artist bio; include photos of prior work if applicable.
- Complete contact information: name, mailing address, phone number, email, and website.
- Suggested location for the installation based on the list above. Location to be confirmed after the City permitting review is completed.
Deadline for all submissions is Friday, June 2, at 6:00pm. Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered. Artists will be notified Monday, June 12, by 5:00pm if they have been selected to participate. Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT OLD PASADENA
Old Pasadena is the original downtown of Pasadena, home to the Tournament of Roses and located just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. This 22-block National Register Historic District is internationally recognized as a shining example of urban renewal. Old Pasadena is one of the premiere shopping and dining destinations in the country featuring a cosmopolitan mix of 200 retail shops and specialty boutiques, as well as 100 restaurants, cafés, and entertainment venues. This architectural gem is pedestrian friendly and provides convenient parking and easy access to public transportation, served by major bus lines and two Metro Gold Line stops.
Old Pasadena Management District
Contact: Janet Swartz